• Firie
User login
Home | Forums | Play by Post | Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords
478 replies [Last post]
Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Melu: Teatime

Melu smiles at her companions as they consider the brinecherry lead, but keeps most of her attention for Koya.

"Well, I did want to introduce myself, ma'am, since you and your mother are the elders here. It's only proper to pay my respects. And we were directed here by others in town who thought your knowledge was valuable--I'd say you're appreciated by many."

She thinks a moment at the mention of the harrow. "My mother was a harrow reader as well. I have her regular fortune cards; the ones she used on people who didn't know better. I don't know why she didn't use the actual deck more often. I've thought of learning myself."

She glances at the others again, and then swaps to the Varisian language. "My family situation can wait. If you'll allow, I'll come back later by myself so we can discuss it. It's not their concern." The bard briefly gestures at her companions.

((Whited out text for alt language for now. None of y'all speak it!))

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
(Psst, I don't think Galruin is comfortable.)

Galruin, you cannot discern any ulterior motives. It seems her face is just unused to smiling.

You all hear a sound from behind, the creaking of old stairs under weight. On them you see an ancient woman, wearing ornate robes and headdress.

(( MUSIC ))

"The Harrowing is no longer certain, child. Perhaps your mother understood that. Aroden is dead, and with him the ability to peer with certainty beyond the veil."

You hear another creak, and see that the woman who has been entertaining you has stood, and quietly goes to stand behind the elder, head bowed respectfully. The elder doesn't deign to notice, steely gaze locking on each of you in turn.

"So many portents dancing around you, and none to be trusted. You must be the young heroes I have heard so much about. I am Madame Mvashti. Welcome to my home."

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Meeting THE Old Lady

Melu very briefly looks like a little kid brought in front of her stern Grandma for yearly inspection. Then the bard's training takes over and she's remembering proper decorum in the presence of her elders, getting up to courtsey deeply to Madame Mvashti.

She does not sit back down again yet, hands clasped in front of her.

"Thank you for having us here, ma'am. I hope we're not disrupting your day too much. We were just hoping to learn some things that may futher help the town."

Melu will briefly glower at the others if they don't look like they're going to do this right. Gods only know with these guys, and Zia's already itching to set things on fire at the least.

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
Gal eyes Melu up and down as

Gal eyes Melu up and down as she gets up, after mulling over it a second decides it best to stand and attempt a bow, his armor clinking as he does. He doesn't say anything at this time but he can't help realizing that the old lady was actually the YOUNGER of the ladies in the house. 

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia looks over at the Crone,

Zia looks over at the Crone, having to tear her eyes away from the fireplace. She nods briefly, "Nobody's ever used "trustworthy" to describe me. "Hero", either. Thanks for the welcome."

Rhiza
Rhiza's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-12-10
Solberg has been on the quiet

Solberg has been on the quiet side lately - though anyone who'se realized there are now two birds in the room might guess why. Anyone who catches the LOOK that his parrot is directing at the raven may then also see the LOOK that Solberg is giving to the parrot. During Madame Mvashti's entrance he's giving the parrot a brief, somewhat muted lecture on being a good houseguest, so when he does turn to bow and pay his respects he's a touch later than the rest of his group. Darn.

At least Skip's being quiet for now.

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel finds a good moment to

Tel finds a good moment to introduce himself, bowing respectfully to the two women.

"Telian Windgrace.. I'm.. well, I was.. the apprentice at the Red Dog, but this town has been, and still is my home, and I want to keep it safe for Amieko and the others.. whether it's dealing with these goblins or the disturbance out East. Anyone in town can tell us about what's happened.. but there's a fair difference between knowlege and wisdom."

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Madame Mvashti

"Ah, it seems that some of your lands still teach the practice of manners. And one of you has discovered that there is more to learning than reading old books."

The old woman chuckles. It's a suprisingly vibrant sound considering her obvious age.

"You seek the truth behind the shadow that falls over this community. But it is hidden behind the veil that clouds all sight. None of the creatures that came here with rage in their hearts knew the purpose behind their raid, save one."

Madame Mvashti reaches into her sleeve, and draws forth a harrowing card, holding it before her as a talisman.

"One among them carried their purpose, and will return in due time. The answers you seek will become known to you, so long as you are patient, and know the proper time to act. Any more than that, I cannot see through the haze of Aroden's demise."

Stepping forward, Madame Mvashti presses the card into Melusina's hand, and motions for her to lean forward, so that she might whisper into the young bard's ear in their native tongue for a few moments, before turning back towards the stairs.

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Melu

Melusina takes the card, eyes widening at the old woman's whispered words. She might get a tad pale before collecting herself again, any signs of fluster hidden again. "Thank you for the warnings, madame."

She studies the card in her hand, not liking what she sees there. "If I remember right, it's place in the deck tells of a darkness over the present, and The Crows itself represents murder, theft, and the violent loss of what's loved." The bard is silent a moment.

Melu then looks between Koya and Galruin. "Aroden's demise? That's why the fortune tellers and soothsayers--the real ones--are uneasy?"

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
Galruin scratches the stubble

Galruin scratches the stubble on his jaw. 

"Aroden. . . Aroden, Why do I feel like that should ring a bell." The cleric's brow winkles into a Scowl as he thinks. 

 

((Religion check!))

 

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Knowledge (religion) result

Aroden was the greatest of the human gods, an immortal azlanti who raised the starstone from beneath the waves and founded the greatest human kingdom before ascending to the heavens. A century ago, he was prophecised to return to Golarion, and start a golden age for humanity. Instead, the empire he founded was wracked by storms for three weeks, and at the end, his clerics and other followers lost all their blessings. He is now believed to be dead by scholars around the world.

The incident took a particular toll on the oracular community throughout Golarion, as the prophecied return of Aroden was known to all of them as fact. With his death, all attempts to see into the future are now fraught with doubt, and many oracles and other soothsayers no longer enjoy their gifts.

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Bard Skills

Melu thinks, and relates what she recalls to the others, looking to Koya to make sure she's getting that right.

"Explains why my mother never really liked using the Harrow. She felt it was an important tradition and artform to maintain, though."

Melu looks at the others who came with her. "Well, we learned quite a bit--not all what we expected. Still need to get Zia ready for her dinner date, and prepare for tomorrow..."

She turns and looks at Koya. "But I would like to come back later, on my own, if that's all right?"

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
The younger of the old women

The younger of the old women remains silent until the elder climbs the stairs and disappears from sight, and then returns to her open and chatty self.

"Certainly child. My family has always stood to assist our people in their times of need. But for now, I must get mother's dinner cooking, so I suggest you find your way to whatever other errands you have. Thank you for visiting."

You are ushered out of the old home, and once again stand in Sandpoint's streets, receiving smiles and waves from the townsfolk when they spot you.

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
"New thing on the list of

"New thing on the list of things I'm not fond of: Creepy, cryptic old women. Alright, I need a nice dress but I doubt I'm going to find anything I like here, unless they've got a store that caters to nomads," Zia says as she puts her hands on her hips, looking down the street almost like her desire for skimpy outfits with lots of baubles and gauzy fabrics will make a shop magically appear.

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
"The region seems to be full

"The region seems to be full of the wandering type, I don't see why there wouldn't be a shop with your. . . Style." Galruin grins. "I wonder if most of the fair vendors will be packed up yet, May check there?" 

Galruin looks back at the creepy old house, shakes his head. "Is there anything more we can do today? If not I think I am gonna wander a bit."

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
"There was nothing creepy

"There was nothing creepy about that house," Melu insists. "And seriously, you're talking to a Varisian in a town of Varisians. We wander all the time, except for those older ladies. I'm pretty sure there will be acceptable fashion choices, unless you're especially picky." She rolls her eyes.

"Other than shopping, I don't know that there's much else to do. I know there's a clothes shop around here somewhere, though. You guys probably don't want to tag along for that."

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
"Truth be told I honestly

"Truth be told I honestly have nothing better to do, so why not? I'll even give you an honest opinion free of charge. I actually don't get much opportunity to walk around town during the daytime."

Finkswitch
Finkswitch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Xoe smiles brightly and puts

Xoe smiles brightly and puts his arm around Zia's shoulders. "Stick with me, Horns, I know all about dresses and what's in style. I'll make sure you get something dazzling that'll work well with your style. One must be up on fashion in my line of work!"

Xoe's smile never wavers as he heads with the group to shop for a dress for Zia, even if it's one he's not likely to see crumpled on the floor at any point. He's never really had lasting friends, mostly wandering from place to place, conquest to conquest. These people, this town... They were already feeling like a home.

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
The Dress shop

Vernah's Fine Clothing is an upscale shop that almost seems out of place in a frontier town like Sandpoint. Entering you see long sheafs of fabric covering most of the surfaces, as well as a number of dresses, skirts, blouses and more hanging from circular racks, or displayed on wooden busts. On the floor, an attractive half-elven woman busily adjusts one of the dresses, a blue satin dress with frills on the cuffs. She looks up and smiles as she takes the pins out of her mouth.

"Good afternoon! My name is Rynshinn, how can I help you?"

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Clooothes!

Melu looks around, suddenly lost in the shop, surrounded by the excess of clothes and styles she has no hope of recognizing. Also aware of how long she's been out of touch with anything resembling civilization.

At the woman's introduction, she sorta nudges Zia forward. "I'm Melu. This is Zia. She's having dinner tonight with Drokkus, business-y, I think, she needs something to wear. To go with her nomadic ifreeti nature."

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia points at the woman,

Zia points at the woman, "Good colors are orange, yellow, red, and sometimes blue. The less fabric there is, the happier I'll be. Extra points for gold embroidery and bells."

Finkswitch
Finkswitch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Xoe steps forward and offers

Xoe steps forward and offers a bow to the seamstress. "I'm Xoe, you might recognize us from our ventures yesterday. We need something semi-formal that will impress that fop Drokkus. I'm thinking something light and airy, maybe showing off some midriff. Loose enough so that if she has to move she won't be restricted. What can you show us, my dear?"

Xoe flashes Rynshinn a dazzling smile.

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
The woman's expression shifts

The woman's expression shifts as she begins to critically eye Zia's form with a trained gaze.

"For tonight? Hm, no time to make custom work, but I might be able to modify something I have..."

She heads to one end of the shop, where a red satin dress of a varisian style stands on a mannequin.

"Hmm... looks about your size. We could open the midriff, lower the collar, and put a riding slit up each side."

She removes the dress from the mannequin and holds it up to Zia.

"What do you think?"

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Dress Shop

Melu looks over the dress, looks at Zia, imagines the proposed alterations. "Sounds good to me. I have some jewelry you can borrow to go with it if you need, Zia. Varisian clothes are made to wear with a lot of bangles." She grins.

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia tilts her head looking at

Zia tilts her head looking at the dress critically, "Throw in a pair of sufi pants in a complimentary color and I'm game... I could probably get a sheer wrap or something and it'd be great."

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
The sun is just beginning to

The sun is just beginning to set when the outfit is finally finished, suitable for your dinner invitation. The total cost will be three gold coins.

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
As the group wanders off from

As the group wanders off from the manor Galruin smiles and waves."Best luck finding some new attire ladies. I think I shall retire for the evening, if anyone needs me you can find me at the cathedral." After the group covers a bit of of ground Gal wanders back to the inn and gathers his things to be moved to his new room hoping to beat sundown and get some studying and prayer in.

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Dress Shopping

"Looks like we got this finished up just in time. I'm going to head back to the Dragon. Have fun at dinner, Zia. Bring back fun gossip."

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel gives Zia an appraising

Tel gives Zia an appraising look and a sharp salute.

"Positively distracting m'dear... knock em dead!"

Telian decides to walk back to the Dragon with Melu.. thinking this evening could get interesting, to say the very least.

Finkswitch
Finkswitch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
"Looking good, Horns! Don't

"Looking good, Horns! Don't let him get too fresh. We'll see you in the morning for the hunt with that prissy noble guy."