There are currently 0 users and 0 guests online.
User login
Home | Forums | Play by Post | Pathfinder: Rise of the Runelords
478 replies [Last post]
Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
Galruin has nothing pressing

Galruin has nothing pressing to do, but feels he should go back to the temple to do some chores and study a bit before dinner time. 

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel -definately- doesn't have

Tel -definately- doesn't have anything to do before supper, quite emphatically being out of a job and all, so he's more than content just sitting at the Dragon, listening to the flute music and chatting a little with his "partner in crime" the innkeeper when moments allow. He knows the mercurial nature of the profession and how things can get busy at an instant, and then slow back down out of nowhere.

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia, being a grumpy, achey

Zia, being a grumpy, achey Ifrit, goes upstairs and has a nice, long, scalding bath and a teeny nap while the boars cook. She will be much less grumpy when clean.

Rhiza
Rhiza's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-12-10
Solberg: After Hunt

Solberg does have a matter or two he wants to attend to - mainly picking up some plain parchment (He'd really like to write home about what's happened lately) and a couple of small blank books (he'd like to be able to record future events, too!)

It's not super-important, if he should run out of time there's always another day to cruise through the markets.

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Boar Party!

You return to the inn's common room for dinner, and Ameiko and her staff have outdone themselves. One of the boars is arranged on a decorative platter on the big center table, surrounded by vegetables and with an apple jammed in its mouth. The other appears to be in many pieces on many plates, ham, pork chops, bacon and more quickly cooked and spiced. The room is filled with rowdy locals, singing songs honoring both you and Lord Foxglove, and Ameiko's staff are hard at work behind the bar while you occasionally hear her voice ring out from the kitchen where they are still hard at work preparing more food for the hungry hordes.

It's another party!

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
But then!

MUSIC

The party is great fun, with spirits high both figuratively, and literally with all the toasts going on. That is until a sharp tongued command in a foreign language rings out from the door, stopping the party in it's tracks.

"I asked you all a question! Where the hell is my daughter?"

The man appears to be in his late fifties or early sixties, and is of Tian descent; an uncommon sight. This is likely Mr. Lonjiku Kaijitsu, head of one of the four noble families of sandpoint, a wealthy and powerful individual indeed. You notice that most of the bar is currently very interested in the contents of their mugs.

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia blinks a few times at the

Zia blinks a few times at the Tian noble, mug of sweet, sweet ale in her hand and she tilts her head slightly as she regards him and his finery, "Did she come to the party?"

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
The old man turns to look at

The old man turns to look at you, with the angry stare only an old man can unleash upon a youngster.

"Impertinent child! I am Lonjiku Kaijitsu, and my daughter 'runs' this pathetic little beer trough. Wait... you're the ones who endangered the town with your fight in the square! Foolish antics combined with stupidity! You're lucky more people weren't killed!"

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
"I imagine, -Sir- that your

"I imagine, -Sir- that your daughter can be found in the back tending to this fine establishment." He eyes the man up and down, checking to see if there are bodyguards present perhaps. "We couldn't very well let the goblins run amuck and do as they please, Saranrae demands Their corruption be brought to an end. Further more I don't suppose you were out in the streets attempting to route them peacefully?"

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Melu: This won't end well

Melu takes in the commotion, slipping out of her seat and over to the angry older man, putting herself between him and her "impertinent" companions.

The Varisian turns her most charming smile on Lonjiku and the others, speaking calmly and gently.

"Why don't one of you go to the back and let Ameiko know she has a visitor? After all it must be rather important for him to come all the way down here this late in the day. Why don't you have a seat, sir, and share some of the food while we wait for Ameiko?"

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Telian is -so- on that, like

Telian is -so- on that, like nobody's business. With his natural talent for slipping through crowds, sidestepping hot plates, he scowers his way through the back to find Ameiko and explain what was going on if he finds her, making sure she understood that her father was quite.. urgent in his request to speak with her.

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Blood is thicker

"Don't you try to sweet talk me, you vagrant. You and your friends are just going to bring more danger down on us! For all we know, you led them here!"

The old man appears uninterested in placation, but Telian was quick to summon his daughter, who emerges from the kitchen carrying a ladle dripping with soup.

"Alright, what the hell is- Father?"

"Ameiko! Shi quan mo rian vento risk Magnimar! Meht varos ilarai van quies!"

"Shan ti ko vas esta Sandpoint! Shiquan esta vok!"

The two begin to argue loudly in Minkaian, it seems their family is not a happy one. Finally the argument seems to come to an end as Ameiko's face contorts in anger, and she lashes out with her ladle, smacking him upside the head, and inviting him to strike back, grabbing at her hair.

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel is rather dumbstruck by

Tel is rather dumbstruck by this exchange. It's true that he knew that Ameiko had.. problems with a very authoratative father but he hadn't dreamed that that things would degenerate into an actual physical confrontation, ladel whacking and hairpulling... at least from -this- short of an argument. The elf didn't know Minkaian, but his understanding of Ameiko was good enough to know that her father must have said something -horrible-.

Aside from the dogs back at the smithy, the innkeeper was the -only- friend that Telian had in Sandpoint, and the only person that he'd let himself feel affection and trust towards. So with only half a moment's pause due to the spontaneous nature of the confrontation.. Tel finds himself thrown between the two, doing his best to get the old man's hands away from the innkeeper.

 

"Stop this right now, what in the hells are you guys doing?!"

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Lonjiku sputters for a

Lonjiku sputters for a moment, embarrassed by the attack, and by being called out. He finally stands as proud as a man dripping soup from his hat can, and makes an ugly declaration.

"Fine then. Have it your way. As of now, you're as dead to me as your mother!"

He stomps and turns, storming out the door, slamming it shut behind him. Ameiko looks for a moment like she might burst into tears, but instead collects herself as the bar watches, pulling a hair off her ladle.

"Heh... I guess I'll need a well-cleaned ladle now, since jackass stew's not on the menu."

The uproarious laughter that follows seems to buoy her spirits, and she shoots your table a grateful smile.

 

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
And then... it was over

And then... it was over almost before it had started, swift and violent like the tsunami from the innkeeper's home country. Tel was close enough to see the look in Ameiko's eyes after her fathers declaration, and it set off a sympathetic pang in his heart. He knew that it took more than a room full of laughter to erase that kind of a blow that was struck. He puts his hand on the innkeeper's shoulder for just a moment as he breaks off and returns to the table, staring intently at his drink.

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
"Well, that was unpleasant,"

"Well, that was unpleasant," Melu murmured. She didn't mind Lonjiku's insult to her; she's heard worse. But the look on Ameiko's face, even briefly...the Varisian girl smiles sympathetically back to the tavern keeper, and then begins to play her flute again, hoping to distract the other patrons from the mess and return everyone to their good spirits. It seems to be what Ameiko wants for now.

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Zia briefly regards Ameiko

Zia briefly regards Ameiko with open curiosity at the other woman's handling of being renounced from her father's better graces. If he had better graces. It didn't seem like it. She takes the opportunity to shove more delicious, succulent pork shoulder into her mouth before any words have the chance to fall out. That was one of the main problems with being what she was, there was always a tendency to scorch rather than soothe. 

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Another Rusty Dragon morning

The evening proceeds swimmingly following the altercation, which everyone is in silent agreement to ignore utterly. The next time Ameiko enters the main room, it's with a cask of fine Katapeshian Brandy, and her instrument, with which she joins Melusina in a stirring duet. As the night stretches on and the crowd thins out, stumbling home to bed, you find yourselves retiring as well, though not before Lord Foxglove gives one final goodbye, as he will be leaving at first light.

"I am proud to call you all my dear friends. Though I must leave now, I intend to return to Sandpoint again once my business in Magnimar is concluded. I hope you will all be here to greet me, especially you, my dear Melusina. May your songs lift my spirits as I set out on my journey."

---------------------------

The next morning finds you all enjoying a free breakfast at the Rusty Dragon, provided courtesy of Ameiko in return for your aid the night before. She brooked no argument, also adding an extra week to your free lodging.

"My father's a jackass, always has been. With any luck he'll be off to Magnimar before long and I won't have to put up with him anymore. Still, it's nice to see someone who isn't me call him out on his crap. Seeing his face when you did is well worth another week. Besides, some of you are willing to try my special spice recipes, and that's handy to make sure I don't kill anyone by accident."

You are just polishing off your hearty breakfast when the door swings open to reveal a guardsman in uniform, who removes his helmet and approaches your table.

"Pardon me sirs, madams. Sheriff Hemlock would like to invite you to join him at the mayor's office once you are done your breakfast. There's someone he would like you to meet, if you'd be willing."

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Melu: breakfast table

The bard enjoys the duet, and then blushes at Aldern's goodbye. She excuses herself soon after, returning to her room, skipping up the stairs and still humming.

***

Melu is up bright and early as seems to be the Varisian's habit. She's quite a bit more subdued this morning, though, eating quietly and only nodding in response to Ameiko's boisterous morning greeting and gifts. "Thank you, Ameiko. That's very kind."

She looks up as the guardsman enters, and looks at the others. "Sounds like something important. Shall we?"

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
Galruin is one of the very

Galruin is one of the very last to shuffle out of the dragon and make his way to his room in the Cathedral. He is up to greet the sun as is his ritual and meets everyone at the inn. 

 

"Thank you for the breakfast Ameiko. Its very good." He smiles at the barkeep not one to pry into her personal life. as the guard comes in and relays his request Galruin agrees with the bard. 

"Yeah, sounds like this may be something important again. Once everyone is done eating I say we get over there." 

Finkswitch
Finkswitch's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Xoe engages in light flirting

Xoe engages in light flirting with anyone femal in the tavern and heads to bed when the party winds down.

In the morning, after doing some general maintenance on his gun, Xoe heads downstairs for breakfast. He greets any of his newfound friends that are present and starts enjoying his hearty meal.

"You know, Ameiko, this could be a blessing in disguise. No more having to worry about him coming in yelling at people and such! Frankly, I was about ready to punch him before the others stepped in, just for being an annoying old man. But alls well that ends well. Either he's worth your time and will come back and forgive and forget, or he's not worth it at all, in which case you're better off without him!"

Xoe finishes his breakfast as the guardsman comes in.

"The Sheriff again? You know, maybe I should take up a job with him. Is the pay good?" Xoe flashes his companions a dazzling smile. "Well, I guess that's that, shall we be off then?"

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel retires for the evening

Tel retires for the evening without any great fanfare. In the morning he takes his breakfast in silence and reflection. It was clear that Ameiko didn't want to speak about the confrontation with her father. Maybe next time...The request to see the sheriff again, this time at the mayor's office perked the elf's interest. After finishing up with breakfast Tel goes to recover his equipment from his room. If something was up, he wanted to be ready to leave to take care of it straight from the mayor's.

Rhiza
Rhiza's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-12-10
Solberg's evening is also a

Solberg's evening is also a quiet one; he returns to his room after a while to go to sleep. The man needs his rest, after all - throwing arcane energies around can take a little out of a person.

---

In the morning he's still on the quiet side, though if pressed he'll readily agree with Ameiko's assessment of her own father. Hell, even Skipper thinks the guy was an ass and for the bird that's saying something. He eats up and makes sure that Ameiko is well-thanked for her generosity, but is surprised when the guardsman arrives.

Curiouser and curiouser! Solberg could well be spending much more time in Sandpoint than he'd originally thought he would be. "Count me in, I'd just like to get some of my things from upstairs first, if you don't mind?" Considering all that's happened lately, he thinks it'd be a good idea to be fully equipped and armed - IF the guardsman doesn't object.

Lirriel
Lirriel's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
"Right...stuff. Given the

"Right...stuff. Given the last time the sheriff asked us along...I'll be back down in a minute." Melu says, getting up from the table and following the others upstairs to get her own weapons and flute. When she returns, she's braiding her long, dark hair, ready to go.

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Meeting with Sheriff Hemlock

The guardsman waits patiently while you recover your gear, then guides you up main street to the town hall. As you pass through the streets, you note that the tone of the village is far more subdued and nervous than days previous. Your presence on the streets, however, seems to cheer people up, and you could swear you see a few breathe sighs of relief.

You arrive before long at the town hall, a two-story stone building across the street from the garrison. The main hall is currently empty, save for a clerk writing documents furiously at a desk off to the side, near the stairs down to the town's bank. The guardsman leads you upstairs to the mayor's office, knocking twice and then opening the door, holding it for you to enter.

Inside are three individuals, Sheriff Hemlock, whom you know quite well at this point, Mayor Deverin, a short and stout woman with short brown hair and a warm smile, and a striking elven woman with a long blonde ponytail and studded armor.

"Good morning friends, thank you for coming again on such short notice. We have some news that might interest you. First, I'd like to introduce you to Mayor Deverin." The sheriff gestures to the woman sitting behind the desk, who stands and offers her hand in greeting.

"Good morning to you all, and I'm sorry it's taken us so long to meet face to face. I would like to offer you my thanks, among all others, for your actions in service to our fair town."

"And also to miss Shalelu Andosana, an unofficial member of the town guard. Shalelu, these are Sandpoint's new champions and goblinslayers. Xoe, Zia, Melusina, Solberg, Galruin, and Telian."

The elven woman smirks at the title she is given, then places her hands together and bows slightly towards you.

((Music))

"A pleasure to meet you all. If you managed to impress Belor to this point, I can't wait to hear your story."

"Shalelu has been a thorn in the side of this region's goblin tribes for years, and no one knows the terrain or the goblins better. She arrived this morning, ahead of schedule, to report on the movements of the tribes. It seems Sandpoint isn't the only community that's had trouble from them."

"Indeed. There have been numerous raids up and down the coast, farm houses, manors, particularily those between the Nettlewood and Mosswood. Just yesterday, I found a pack of the little bastards burning down a farm south of the mosswood. I was able to intervene and save the family, but was too late to save their farm."

Sheriff Hemlock has a seat as Shalelu stands up from where she was leaning, addressing you all directly.

"Belor's told me of your heroism against the goblins; well done, by the way. I've been working for over a decade to keep them from causing too much trouble, but they're tenacious and fecund little runds. Like weeds that bite.

There are five major goblin tribes in the region, and they generally keep each other in line with their little tribal squabbles and the like. But from what I've seen recently, and what I was able to piece together from what Belor told me about the raid, there were members of all five tribes that raided Sandpoint during the Swallowtail festival. The Mosswood goblins I dealt with yesterday were already pretty beat up, and they were chattering about the Longshanks; that's what they call us tall folk; who killed so many of them. It's pretty obvious now they were talking about the six of you.

In any event, the tribes working together disturbs me greatly. Goblins don't get along unless they've got something big planned, and a big plan means a big boss. I'm worried something new has moved in on the goblins and organized them, and it seems likely it won't have ended with the Swallowtail raid."

"Which brings us to why I asked you all here. I'm taking a couple of my guards and making the trip down to Magnimar to personally request additional soldiers to protect the town. So far my messages haven't recieved any real response, so I'm hoping to convince them to get their asses in gear in person. While I'm gone, Shalelu will be staying in the area, trying to find where the goblins are gathering.

In the meantime, I was hoping the six of you could make a point of hanging around town, in public whenever possible. The townsfolk feel safer with you out and about, and the last thing we need are panicked rumours convincing people to be scared and do something stupid. You've already done a lot for this town, and I'm hoping you might be willing to keep on doing so, at least until the current crisis is over."

Cerwis
Cerwis's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Acting on her first instinct,

Acting on her first instinct, Zia naturally takes a step back to partially obscure herself behind the taller members of the party at the mention of the guard. She listens attentively to Belor while trying to maintain a persona that hides her general distaste of being in a hall of authority surrounded by the figures of authority that live in the aformentioned hall of authority. 

She tilts her head at Belor's request, "So... just keep morale high until you get back?" 

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Sheriff response

"In a nutshell, yes. The townsfolk are putting on a brave face, but they're definitely scared that the festival raid was just the start of it. And I'm sure having Shalelu come visit us so soon after won't be helping that feeling. Having you around will help them feel at ease, and should help keep things quiet while I'm gone. With any luck, I should only be out of the town for five days, though if I know the beaureaucrats in Magnimar it may be a touch longer. My deputies will maintain patrols and keep the peace, but your presence will go a long way towards that goal."

Christover
Christover's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-20
"I would be happy to oblige,

"I would be happy to oblige, sheriff." Galruin nods with a little smile. "I have some duties at the church, though I doubt saranrae would have any objections to me spreading some courage and hope to the townsfolk a bit more than usual." 

He can't help but grin at Zia's attempts to remain unnoticed. Perhaps standing a bit taller to assist her efforts. 

"You said that Miss?. . .  Andosana's presence here would make the people a little uneasy? He smiles and turns to the elf. "Would it be possible to mask your presence in town for a few days? or is it already known your back?"

Drogar
Drogar's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-18
Shalelu sighs at the

Shalelu sighs at the question.

"No such luck. I came in through the north gate, and there was a small group of townsfolk there waiting for a trade caravan that's arriving later today. I bet by now the story is that I was chased in here by a pack of vicious goblin dogs, who even now plan their assault on the town."

The elf woman shakes her head in frustration.

"I like this town, but the rumour mill is far too efficient for anything to be kept secret for long."

Linu Theillos
Linu Theillos's picture
Offline
Joined: 2010-05-24
Tel subtly nods his head

Tel subtly nods his head toward the Sheriff.

"We'll do what we can.. though I'm admittedly not the best at standing out at making a presence, much better at letting my hands do the talking."

The elf then nods toward Shalelu and puts at least a decent effort into smiling, over his typical passive expression.

"It's good to see you back Shalelu... I know Sandpoint can be Sandpoint sometimes, but it's no secret we'd be in much worse trouble without your talents."